OUR EXPERIENCED DILAPIDATIONS TEAMS OFFER NICHE SERVICES TO HELP THE PURSUIT OF CLAIMS ON BEHALF OF LANDLORDS AND THE DEFENCE OF CLAIMS ON BEHALF OF TENANTS.
In each case we adopt a professional and impartial position, in accordance with the spirit of the Property Litigation Association’s protocol for Terminal Dilapidations, whilst protecting the interests of our appointing client.
OUR APPROACH WHEN ACTING FOR TENNANTS
- We like to become involved well in advance of any break or termination date, in order to strategically manage the exit from the premises.
- We explore all potential avenues for achieving a satisfactory settlement of the claim, including either cash in lieu of works, specific performance of covenants or a mixture of both.
- We undertake investigations to identify the landlord’s intentions and analyse this information for its impact on the tenant’s liability.
- We are experienced in carrying out dilapidations works in order to discharge tenants’ liabilities under leases and, in particular, meeting the quality requirements envisaged by the parties at commencement of the term.
- Where negotiating cash in lieu of works, we have up-to-date and accurate costs of most items of work from our extensive database of past projects.
- Where necessary, we can bring in specialist evaluation advice in order to support a defence under s.18 of the Landlord and Tenant Act.
OUR APPROACH WHEN ACTING FOR THE LANDLORD
- We develop a strategy for the claim based on the landlord’s intentions and future plans for the premises.
- We are experienced in carrying out works on behalf of the landlord in order to mitigate losses and help attract a new tenant for the premises.
- We have access to accurate and reliable rates for building works from our database of previous projects, which we can use to support claims for financial settlement.
- We pay particular attention to assembling a comprehensive claim file that demonstrates the adoption of a fair and transparent approach, in full compliance with the PLA Protocol, thereby increasing the chances of a successful claim in law.
- Our experts are credible expert witnesses, should legal action be required to recover losses sustained by the landlord.